Friday, May 20, 2011

The Last Hurrah - Front Crossmember and Radiator Support installation

Last night, with a fresh tank of Argon/CO2, I went back at it to finishing up the welding in of the front crossmember.   The challenging part is that almost all the welds were overhead while laying on my back.  Not fun.   The first weld was the bead weld across the strut rod supports to the crossmember.   Before......


... And after...





I started the plug welds from the rear of the crossmember and worked back and forth from left side to right side allowing the metal to cool between welds.  A shot of compressed air helps here.   I got enough of the plug welds in that it was time to do the bead weld to connect the back of the crossmember to the strut rod supports.  This is the only weld that I could do in "normal" position.   Afterwards, I removed my temporary rectangular tube support.   My welds actually look better than the factory welds, which makes me wonder if I should have made them look "sloppy", but that's not my style.   Who's gonna look for them under the radiator anyway?



So here's what it looks like from above when done...


... and here's what it looks like from underneath...


I am going to dress these up after I get the car on the rotisserie.  But for now, this work on the front body structure is pretty well done....FINALLY!



Sometime it's hard to imagine that this is what I started with...



...but now it's all pretty!

Next step...  Finish gutting the interior and start on the driver's side floor replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment