Monday, April 14, 2014

A 9 Year Relationship

I look at the calendar.  And then I look at my fastback...still on the rotisserie...still not finished.

It was 9 years ago today that this little lady moved in to my garage.  It's hard to imagine it's been that long.  But then again, it's hard to imagine I've been married for as long as I have.  I guess it's true when it's said, "Time flies when you're having fun."

I suppose like many relationships, they all have their ups and downs.  They develop over time and in many ways become stronger and more attached...not that I can realistically compare the fastback to my marriage, but the similarities are...well...similar.

I drive by the Ford dealer in town at least a couple of times a week.  Depending upon how they've rearranged the lot, I occasionally see a Mustang, like the race red 2013 Boss 302, and think, "Hmmmm.  I could probably get a pretty good price for the fastback and apply those funds to the Boss.  I could be on the road cruising around tomorrow.  But then I think, "As much fun as a new Boss would be, it wouldn't be the same."  We have no history...no bond.  It would be just another pretty face in the garage.  I probably wouldn't have any sore muscles or scars from working on it.  I would have no investment of time other than an occasional wash, wax, and fluid change.   It wouldn't be a head turner since there are a number of Bosses in the area (but not race red!).    My relationship with the Boss would not mean as much to me since not only would I not have to work at it...or on it...to the same level I have with the fastback, it would not  be as meaningful.   We would probably get "divorced" in a few years because there would be another Mustang that would come along and catch my fancy.

Why wax poetic and philosophy on a day like today?   Because even after 9 years...even after lulls in working on her...even after all the blood (literally), sweat (literally), and tears (literally) she has become part of me.  And I just can't let go of that part for something much less satisfying.

So happy anniversary Eleanor.  You not only have a spot in my garage, but one in my heart.  One day, together, we will be one on the road.  And that will be another day to celebrate a new anniversary.

6 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! I've caught myself looking at these new model Mustangs and Shelbys myself and ask myself if I would even trade straight across for one and always convince myself that it wouldn't be anywhere near the same. That shiny new car would begin to depreciate, the plastic would crack and fade, and the electronics would begin to fail and I'd be left with just another old car (not to be confused with a "classic" car).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I just re-read my comment and it reminded me of that quote from the Austin Powers movie, "Allow myself to introduce my..... self". ;-)

      Delete
    2. Now that you made the comment, "Austin" it's pretty hilarious!

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary! I am almost at 3 years myself. Wow, three years! I understand the whole investment with the car. I don't want to give it up if I don't have to. I also keep looking at some of the new mustangs. I wouldn't trade mine in for one, it would just end up being an addition to the family. (If I didn't keep spending all my free money on the old girl, LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh.....You boys ALL "get it" and it makes me smile. As much as there is a "community" in our old loves, they remain "private" vehicles. Our own little time machines that exist as the only means to take us to places no "modern" machine could ever do. Cheers Dennis and Happy Anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pretty nice blog, following :)

    ReplyDelete