Monday, June 27, 2011

Indianapolis Mustang and All Ford Show

This weekend was the Mustang Club of Indianapolis car show which was open to anything Ford.   I've been to the one in Summer of 2009.   I will say that this year was a disappointment, especially from the vendor and swap meet side of the show.  Only ONE parts vendor, no swap meet, and a mediocre showing in number of cars.   But there were some nice Mustangs and other Ford models there.


There were three   2012 Boss 302 Mustangs there...all the same color...the same everything....





This 64-1/2 Indy pace car Mustang was pretty cool...




There was a special "corral" for display of some very nice Mustangs.  This is my favorite from the 71-73 model years, a Boss 351...




Then there was a spectacularly restored  '70 Boss 429 Mustang....



The surprise of the show for me was the largest collection of  '74-'78 Mustangs I've ever seen at a show in decades.  There were 8 of them all together and nicely kept or restored...all of them V8 cars too.


There were only three '67-'68 Mustangs there which was a surprise and a disappointment.  Normally there are a half-dozen to a dozen of them.   There was a "driver quality" 68 Shelby GT500 convertible,  a '67  GT Fastback with a 390 V8, and a '68 Bullitt recreation.   None of them had the hood open to check out the engine compartment.

The real star of the show for me was a "barn find" all original 65 Shelby GT350 Mustang right near the entrance to the show.   It had rust in the lower fenders and rear quarters and hadn't been repainted.  The paint was worn off to the primer on the top of the front fenders.  The interior was fairly well preserved.  You can only imagine what the engine compartment looked like...a mixture of crud and rust.  No shiny stuff there at all.   The only thing that the owner did was put a new exhaust system on it so it could be driven.   Unfortunately, the car had left before I got a chance to come back and take some pictures of it.  Oh well. 

It was a nice break to take on a beautiful Saturday with no rain which seems to be a rarity this summer.  Going to the show was the only car stuff I did all weekend because of other things I needed to do...like cut grass, trim, and move and stack a trailer load of firewood for the smoker and fireplace.   I hope to get back on the car this week or at least one evening before the weekend.   Then it's off to Michigan for some R&R the week of the 4th of July and my high school class reunion.   I had hoped I would have the Mustang done and drive it to my reunion.  But alas, that isn't going to happen this time.   Maybe it will be done by the next one.   Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment