Thursday, January 12, 2012

Passenger Side Firewall Extension - The Evaluation

After James bought the doors for his Mustang on CJ Pony Parts and posted that they had a sheet metal sale, I thought I better check and see if there are any other pieces parts I needed.  I started poking around and most everything looked OK.  I saw some surface rust on the passenger's right side of the top of the toe board, or bottom of the firewall where it bends to form the extension.  I got out my 4" cone braided wire brush and had at it to see how much surface rust was there.   Here's what I found...


Aw crap!  If you think this looks like fun, here's what it looked like when I put the trouble light on the engine side of the firewall....


More Swiss cheese...and it's not in the most accessible area.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that the rust looks like it's localized in the one area.  I thought about making my own patch panel, but the part I have to cut out looks like it will get into the top of the ribbing in the toe board.   I also figured if I got into it and needed more metal I could put myself in a real bind.   So I got on CJ's web site tonight and the sale was still on.  So for $27 and change with free shipping, I ordered the new right side toe board and will cut out what I need.  

It's supposed to be biting cold the next couple of days.  Welding in a garage with the temp at 18 F degrees isn't my idea of fun.   I need to get some more K-1 kerosene for my torpedo heater if I'm going to get back on finishing up the driver's side floor this weekend.  Hopefully there will be no surprises in my schedule, but as life tends to go, you never know....

No comments:

Post a Comment