Saturday, April 30, 2011

Sick and Wired - front radiator support and crossmember install part 1

It looked like Thursday night would be the night to really hit it hard and get this front end metal work knocked out.  So I drilled out the 56 holes for the rosette welds using a combination of my drill press and body panel support fixture (courtesy of Eastwood) and my hand drill.   The subassembly was ready finally to get installed.   Here are a couple of pictures post-drill but pre-install...



I Got it measured and clamped into position.  Then I started the welding.   The welder however was acting up--erratic wire feed, spitting, etc.   I played with it and got it to cooperate somewhat.  But on the 4th weld, I pulled the trigger, got about 2 seconds of weld and then....nothing.   What's going on here?   I unscrewed the gas nozzle and used my nippers to grab the end of the wire, figuring it got fused in the tip.   I started to pull it loose and the wire kept coming out...and coming...and coming.    I opened up the welder and discovered my problem--out of wire!   Bugger!   So I only got this far...


I stopped by my local Thrifty Supply and picked up a spool of .023 MIG wire.  I figured I was ready to go.   But then I woke up in the middle of the night last night with serious chest congestion and raging sinuses.   It has wiped me out.   To top it off, I have a wedding today and the grass has grown from all the rain.   Then I have a conference next week from Monday through Wednesday with evening meetings when I get back.  I'm afraid work on the Stang will have to wait until next weekend.   Oh....I forgot...   The church yard sale is next Saturday.   

I can't help but quot a line from SNL's Gilda Radner as Rosanne Rosanna Danna...   "There's always something.  If it's not one thing it's another."

No comments:

Post a Comment